Thursday, August 29, 2013

The component module & the infamous Alpha coprocessor board


 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/DEC_Alpha_21-35023-13_J40793-28_top.jpg/300px-DEC_Alpha_21-35023-13_J40793-28_top.jpg

Very little facts are known of this board which never passed the prototype stages due to its fragility. It was supposed to attach to a header in the DraCo Motion/Vlab Motion and provide component output.
I have never seen a picture of this device, but it is absolutely not a rumour and it is based around the Philips SAA 7165 chip.


Speaking of rumors, many times during the life of the DraCo, Macrosystem advertised about a DraCo Direct card for rendering video effects in realtime. It was supposely a kind of coprocessor card based around a DEC Alpha processor at 233 Mhz (this was in a time where the Alpha processor was the king of the hill). The truth is, that this card never even reached the prototype stage.

1 comment:

  1. Pictures of the YUV/Component module can be found here:
    https://groups.io/g/Amiga-vlabmotion/album?id=103870

    I have this installed on a VLab-Motion v1.3 card in an A4000. The only thing I might consider being "fragile" is the cable connection point on the corner of the card. The cables themselves are quite durable. I created a custom slot cover plate with RCA jacks for it. The cables are mounted with BNC connectors, I added BNC to RCA adapters.

    I have not tried it in my DraCo. Since my DraCo has the DV module, I thought I'd just use the YUV/Component board with my VLM. At some point, I'd like to work out pinouts for the header attachment. It would be interesting if someone could recreate a modern equivalent and make it available thru PCBWay.

    ReplyDelete